Halifax Anniversary

One year ago, I pulled into Halifax via Montreal en route from Kingston, Ontario.
Having spent the better part of seven months visiting my parents and tutoring part-time at The Reading Clinic, I felt it was time to indulge my ambition of returning to a city that held fond memories for me.
A friend and his daughter had taken the train from Halifax to Montreal and met me there. We shared the drive to the East coast with Lalya squished into one half of the back seat amongst my suitcases, boxes and various paraphernalia lodged on the adjoining seat and in the rear. These were the 'minimal' items I felt that I could get along with while starting the next chapter of my adventure.
And that it has been!
I have become reacquainted with the beauty of Nova Scotia, met oodles of warm and funny people, swum in the ocean, and the lakes that dot the province like wet scars. I have cruised the byways and less-traveled roads. I've poked my nose into a barn laden with antiques, dined on lobster, fiddleheads and sea asparagus; sailed, kayaked, hiked, geocached, participated in a scavenger hunt car rally, and prepared delicious al fresco fare to be devoured on a nostalgic inspiring veranda.
Here are just a few visuals:
Peggy's Cove - about half a kilometre down the road from the famous lighthouse


Sunrise over the Atlantic looking east from Point Pleasant Park
Eastern Passage - taking the ferry to historic McNab's Island in Halifax Harbour. It was once used to quarantine those with Cholera.
Eastern side of McNab's and an old skeleton
Festivities abound here, from culinary to musical to artistic and I've tried to  absorb as many as possible.
Here are just some of the highlights of my year to date:

an enthusiastic Hallowe'en display
Trying to get out and walk amid the various parks
 The audience awaits Shakespeare in the Park
 My four favourite gals, at Christmas
 A cookie exchange - Yumm
Attended a friend's Art Show - her first of many, I'm sure!
A traditional lobster fest - drippingly delicious...



Poking around in antique barns






Exploring with the Halifax Outdoor Adventurers
 even in winter, the beaches are striking
Volunteer score-keeping for the National Goal Ball tournament - a sport played by the visually impaired
 Entertained by a Naval Band on the grounds of Government House for the Lt. Governor's Tea
 To Her Majesty!

 time for a rest
 a Rowing Regatta on the Northwest Arm at St. Mary's Boat Club, where I used to row
 Muddy banks of an arm of the Bay of Fundy (Nova Scotia side)
 plenty of rocks and seaweed - this time along the coast at Prospect












a memorial to those lost at sea

 and in memory of my dear father who died May 2, a week before his 90th birthday.
He was a member of the Burma Star; the inscription on this stone marker in Kingston reads, "When you go home tell them of us and say for your tomorrow we gave our today". (Kohima Epitaph).

Comments