School's back!

It's my second week at Armbrae Academy.
And there are few things worth mentioning:

I have to stop using shorthand on my calendar; " Met staff at AA", Welcome BBQ at AA. Group meeting - AA".   People are going to start thinking I've entered a twelve-step program!! Although I may end up there eventually.  It sure takes a lot of energy to run around after 3 and 4 year olds -- still, I suppose it's good practice for grandparenting (someday).

For the most part the learning curve has been a gentle slope, like a toddler-sized slide.  The drawers on my skills' cabinet needed a squirt of oil, as did my back, (oh, my aching back!).  I've begun morning yoga stretches and abdominal strengthening to ward off a recurrence of spasms.  Next, I have to find a way to quickly jump up from a cross-legged position at Circle Time when someone suddenly needs the bathroom, or is picking on a neighbour. Maybe I should investigate gene therapy using frog leg muscles, or perhaps fleas, as I hear they can jump farther than any other creature relative to their size.
But I digress.

My first French lesson seemed to be rather uneventful last week, so I was somewhat taken aback this morning when at one point, I had three 4 year olds in tears calling for their mums. What to do about the other 7?  I struggled valiantly on, and managed to have the students colour  'les numeraux' templates I had distributed, (and I think I got them all labeled with the correct names).  By the time I began to hand out stickers the noise level rose again because no one wanted to be last and/or they wanted they same colour as someone else had, or they weren't finished colouring yet, or they thought they had a picture of   an 'un', when they really had a 'deux'. I finally managed to get the students lined up just as my supervisor came to the rescue; we were in a room down the hall and I hadn't even had a moment to grab and use the walkie-talkie to communicate a possible "S.O.S." My faith in teacher-ESP has been renewed.

Oh my. The angst of preschoolers.

When I arrived home, all was forgotten, as I opened the front door to discover a parcel in the vestibule with MY name on it.  I all but tore it open to find a wonderful smell emanating and to my delight was presented with a bevy of beautiful home-made cookies!!!!!
The card inside read, ... "You deserve a cookie,  well maybe two."


Thank you Mum, Sean and Chris. (I suspect I know the perpetrator and you've earned valuable Brownie points!)
So I've been smiling my way through them as I sit on the veranda on this temperate September afternoon.  I suppose I will have to offer some to my students and some to my landlord, Chipman and some to his daughter, Lalya, and some to the neighbours, and.........
well, then again,
maybe not.  
I hope this finds you well and with your own sweet-tooths (sweet-teeth?) decidedly sated!
M.

Comments