Has Spring Really Sprung?

I don't know about you, but in my books, Spring means warmer weather (consistently, with the hope of more to come) and fast blossoming gardens.  At least, where I lived in West Vancouver for 25 years that was the premise.
Not so in the Maritimes.
And I find myself, (though only occasionally - which I will explain later), wondering, why I chose to relocate here a scant two years ago.
I remember a day in March, when I wore short sleeves out in the garden, then the next day was bundled up in five layers to go on an island hike.
This weekend brought lovely balmy weather again. Friday was glorious for our school's Grandparents' Day and Sunday and Monday were chilly sweater-toting, sock-wearing days.
Such extremes!!
Nevertheless, my garden seems to be surviving and thriving. Here is the evidence, which speaks for itself:

The crocuses popped up and were gorgeous while they lasted, which wasn't long, but definitely heralded "Spring"

 This forsythia is even richer today in brilliant yellow.  Perhaps I should have thought of a yellow-themed name for the place, but have decided to call it Kildare Cottage after the county in Ireland where Mum was born. I feel the keen luck of the Irish every moment I spend here!
 These azaleas burst out about a week ago and now they are in full bloom outside my dining room window...


 I bought some candy pink geraniums to perk up a planter on the front walkway.  I like this colour so much - I may put some up next to my front door.  My last house in West Vancouver had these every year outside my back door, so I guess they are like a web connecting me from coast to coast.
I'm told the Solomon Seal will be magnificent once they come into bloom.
And the mixed plants on the terraced front plot should be a glorious surprise.  I have spotted scented geraniums, foxgloves, cotoneaster, creeping thyme, and some that I have no idea about.

 Here is some brave Pulmonaria, or Lungwort - one of the first and hardiest plants to bloom this year
 And last, but not least, the vegetable plot, where I hope to expand on my limited growing experience. I'm thinking of gourds and nutritious greens...
Now that it is red-ant-free and weeded, I await a delivery of fresh soil and another layer of a wooden border all around. Then I have no more excuse for dilly-dallying about.  Planting, nurturing, weeding harvesting and then, next up….Canning 101 !!
Any and all hints are much appreciated!!

Comments