Back in my suitcase again

I'm back in the saddle again, except instead of a saddle I have 'suitcases'... of one sort or another. Travel will do that to a person, and I have become reasonably adept at managing my life from these boxes of late. One small rectangular receptacle receives, rearranges and redistributes articles of daily apparel, while another thinner rectangular device serves as my technological umbilicus. I tote an even smaller device when the situation demands pocket portability. Yes, these suitcases govern my life of late.
I used to think of a suitcase as a bag to house clothing and necessities while away from home temporarily. Something which had to be toted on buses, trains or planes. Now, I see my electronically paraphernalia as metaphorical suitcases. When away from home, I 'store' most items of import on my i-pad mini suitcase and my i-phone suitcase, pulling out what I need at a mere fingertip prompt. Maybe I should refer to them as i-storage?
Earlier this week I bemoaned the fact that I hadn't managed to pull out a pair of wellies from the depths of my valise to don during a flash flood in Charleston. Would that I had had access to my home closet for just such a moment. My sandals took two days to dry out!
It was almost as frustrating to realize that the phone number I needed to cancel an appointment was back at home on the calendar.
Perhaps the day will come when anything can be obtained, manufactured or provided with a keystroke or two..., but until then I continue to hone my packing (and editing) skills.  It all comes down to knowing what to put in and what to leave out, whether the suitcase is one you pull on wheels or whether it fits in your pocket.

Comments