An early start to summer

 It's June at last!
This winter passed quickly and with hardly any angst compared to last year.  I've been paying more attention to when the flowers and shrubs in my garden begin to bloom this year. When things are dull are skeletal, it's hard to remember what grows where.
The forsythia was a welcome harbinger of spring and I clipped some cuttings to bring inside in February and took some into the school as well to brighten up our classroom.
Three to four weeks ago, the azalea outside my dining room window erupted into gorgeous purple blooms. Now they are all spent, but the lilacs are out -- hooray! They are my favourite scent. The aroma takes me back to my youth in Shilo, southern Manitoba. We had lilacs in our back yard, which stretched almost invisibly into the prairie beyond.  Tonight I lit a fire in my newly acquired outdoor fire pit and poured a glass of wine to absorb the beautiful evening.


I took a day off work last week (my first all year) and combined it with the weekend to get five days away in Tennessee, where I met my friend, and frequent travel companion, Christine. We met in Memphis on Friday night and chatted until about 3 am! On Saturday we "did" Graceland to cater to her love of all things Elvis. That evening we drove to Franklin and found the last available room in the entire area. Being Canadian, we had forgotten that it was Memorial Day Weekend in the US.

I took with me a library book about the Civil War called, "Widow of the South", which depicts the horrific battle on November 30, 1864, (and its aftermath), in which 9600 soldiers lost their lives between 5 and 9 pm. Franklin is a place steeped in such an unfortunate history that is still almost palpable to this day. Carrie McGavock and her husband tended to the wounded and dying that day and later re-buried 1500 bodies on their own property, marked with simple gravestones. In the years since, some have been identified by family members doing genealogical studies and additional markers have been added and/or amended. Today it is a peaceful place. Carrie and John are buried there as well as their nanny and the three children they lost at a young age. Two others made it to adulthood.



On to Nashville....
Music City.....more to come
I








Comments