Just a short note today...



I found myself invigorated by the sunshine this afternoon (after waking from a twelve hour sleep!) The Frog Pond was calling so I ventured along my road - eight minutes or so to the head of the trail yet not two minutes in, I stepped over a log and felt a wrench in my right thigh. I knew immediately that I had strained or pulled one of my hamstring muscles. I deliberated whether to continue or to return the way I had come, but decided in the end to keep going. The trail was slushy.., after all , it is spring at last, but my Blundstone's proved true and I suffered no leaks.  I limped home and promptly lay down with an ice pack for half an hour before my first student was due to arrive for the afternoon.
I kept thinking of how this might have been avoided.  Am I just getting less limber with age? Am I not strong enough anymore? I'm not becoming one of those 'old' people who crawl along through their senior years. am I?

I soldiered on through the rest of the afternoon/evening sessions, using ice periodically, until at last I could devote some attention to my predicament. I popped an anti-inflammatory and made a bite to eat,  then went to bed with a hot water bottle - foregoing ice for heat.

As I recline, now in far less pain, I share this photo with you , which I took on my walk today.  It speaks of the  interesting light at this time of year and of the signs of spring that we all smell just around the bend.

Comments