March 19, 2017
 Twenty seven years ago, a special girl was born. A a distant Godmother I tried to keep in touch with her by sending birthday and Christmas cards, but today I had the pleasure of sharing brunch with Hayley and her family. Although the miles kept us apart for much of her life, I've been able to visit with her more often in the last few years since returning to Halifax. We chose to meet at the Inn at Chocolate Lake, which has been done over in the last year. It has a surprisingly panoramic vista of the lake and a new quiet bar as well with bright windows. In the summer I think it will become one of my favourite places to go for a glass of wine of an evening and just unwind.
Nine months later in the same year, when my youngest daughter Alex was born, I remember thinking that I must have been newly pregnant when I paid a surprise visit to my dear friend Shelagh a few days after Hayley's birth.  Funny how life just happens like that....

Today, I came back after a delicious tomato and spinach Eggs Benedict to begin a systematic search for a pair of earrings that I had wanted to wear this morning, but couldn't locate. After a quick look in all the usual spots,  my simmering fears hit full boil as my hunt expanded to the most unlikely spots to no avail. I finally gave up after being down on hands and knees with a flashlight (and discovering dust and cobwebs everywhere.., who knew?). Did I mention that these were rather expensive earrings? I was too upset to eat much dinner, so nibbled on cold leftovers while I tried to watch a seafaring saga with Benedict Cumberbatch.  I kept trying not to feel sorry for myself and went back a couple of times to retrace my routes, searching purses I haven't used for ages and all the possible pockets in my closets including those in clothing I haven't worn for months.

Just now, I brought a glass of milk up to bed and was planning to read for a bit to try to sleep, when I glanced at my bedside table and I couldn't believe my eyes. There, staring at me were the very earrings that I had been distraught about. I felt my earlobes to see if maybe they were a different pair that I had put in earlier. No. I held them up to the light and examined them closely.  How could I have missed them? I had pulled out all the furniture in my bedroom, I had reached into cobwebs, I had turned bedding inside out, I had cleared off all countertops.  Yet here they were, just sitting there plain as day, as if someone had been playing a nasty joke on me and finally decided that enough was enough and popped them in plain view.


I still can't understand it.

I do hear noises in the roof at night, but had put that down to squirrels or rats.
They say that old houses are often blessed with spirit presences. I think I might be living with a naughty one.
Now if only I could find all the other things that have gone missing over the years.......


Comments