Yesterday was May Day.
The first of May.
A time for posies and surprises.
Traditionally, May Day was celebrated with secret parcels of flowers delivered to friends and neighbours as well as ribbon dances around poles - perhaps on the town green.
With my English/Irish heritage, I'm often drawn to these occasions. As an 'Army Brat', I yearn for consistency and any excuse to celebrate a tradition.

Sunday evening in front of a roaring fire, I was thankful for the delightful hike I did earlier with my best buddy. We went along the coast just outside of Herring Cove and decided to continue to the village and walk back the short distance along the road to complete the loop. Neither of us had done this before and it made a nice change. We stopped, as usual, at Pavia for a coffee (and this time a scone) while we watched the landscapers putting in a raised garden bed. The plan is to grow some produce of their own, such as herbs and salad greens. The only negative is that it's so close to the roadside, that it will be tainted by exhaust fumes.

Here are some photos of the shoreline;



Today it's drizzly and a little foggy on the Northwest Arm. I never tire of my local walks there. The daily temperatures are on the rise and the need for multiple layering of clothes is dwindling, thank goodness. My bird feeders are empty, but I don't worry that my feathered friends are finding enough sustenance at this time of year. I hear the songs begin around 4:30 am and continue for a good hour as they greet the day. It's much better than an alarm clock and provides a slow and serene way to nudge my consciousness from sleep mode to thinking what the day might bring.
 
Who knows.., perhaps I'll visit the beach again and see if anyone has added to this strange face I styled last week!
Carpe Diem!
xo


Comments